Friday, May 23, 2008

Cleveland rocks?

Except when it doesn't.

I had a bit of a fright on Thursday trying to get to the CLE airport from my client, who is somewhat to the east of the airport. Seems 480 westbound got stuck somehow and of course I was running late. So I took surface streets, counting on my GPS to steer me right, but in this case, surface was also backed up.

Cleveland, which claims to be where the traffic light was invented, hasn't quite figured out light timing... I would get a green, go the limit, and get ot the next light just after it turned red. This continuned for 10 miles, with more traffic streaming onto the surface road at every cross, until all of a sudden, it was like a cork was let out of something, and it was completely empty roadways for the last 5 miles. It was due to a light that was way too long in the other direction and too short in ours.

Fortunately I had a Mazda CX7 so I was able to out accelerate all the laggards whenever there was a break in traffic.

I just made it, but next week I'm leaving earlier!

No comments: